Thursday 19 August 2010

How I got knitting....Again

My Mum, being the keen knitter that she is, taught me to knit when I was little. I have no memory of this to be honest. I picked up the sticks again as an adult when I was confined to my bed with a threatened miscarriage so I whiled away the hours attempting to knit and watching Pie Griller play space games (he tried knitting aswell and all but welded the knitting to the needle) I didn't pick up the sticks again until after my second child came along and I found myself posessed with the desire to knit again after looking at peoples Blythe Knits online. I was desperate to knit but as my handy knitting teacher mother was busy I decided I'd have to refresh my memory another way. Embarrassingly it was one of my kids books that got me going. As you can see from the picture it's basic but it gave me an actual goal - a finger puppet! This comes from The Rainy Day Book (which is quite handy for kids during holidays in the UK) The finger puppets were chewed up and thrown away somewhere by my small people but the sense of achievement I got from actually finishing something was really inspiring. I ordered myself some expensive custom needles and a fantastic book called Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the absolute beginner. I also joined Ravelry and a new obsession was born. I've been knitting for just over a year now and it has been tremendous fun, I've made some bloody awful things for my girls, frogged some eyewateringly difficult knitting that I'd slaved over and even made up a few very basic patterns. If you're just starting out there are plenty of resources online, I've listed a few in my links section, and I've made up some very basic beginner blythe knits for you to try. The scarf is the best place to start as it is quick & simple to make. Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment